[wingide-users] Default Python Executable

Sheila King Sheila at Thinkspot.net
Wed Oct 4 11:16:21 MDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> But ABSOLUTELY don't remove the Apple-installed Python. (Obscure
> stuff will break.) Just get the pythonmac.org version and install
> it. The newest installers fix the path problem, as I recall.

You no longer have to go to pythonmac.org

FINALLY the latest python releases are now available for Mac at
python.org (just like for all the other OS's)
See:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.3/
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/

I installed the 2.4.3 version on my Mac because I have to match the
version running on the server at work (where we are running 2.4.3).
But it installs just like any other standard Mac app, and handles all
the paths appropriately.

For me, at the command line
$python

will bring up the 2.4.3 version
However the system sees the python executable as being the system-
installed /usr/bin/python (2.3.x) on Tiger

So, as mentioned previously, anywhere in WingIDE that you want to
access your own Python (later version) that you have installed from
the .dmg files available on python.org simply use the path
/usr/local/bin/python

This will give you the 2.4.3 version or 2.5 (whichever you have
installed)

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/