[wingide-users] Tool Box tab positions

gary.h.merrill at gsk.com gary.h.merrill at gsk.com
Thu Nov 23 07:55:48 MST 2006

You may recall, long ago when V2 was in development, that I complained
about vertical tabs in the Tool Box.  Wing now supports tabs on the left,
right, top, and bottom.  But at some point the ability to set the tab
position from the Tool Box itself seems to have gotten a bit confused.

By default, the tabs come up on the left.  and then you get a choice (when
right clicking on a tab) to move them to the right.  If you can get them
to appear on the top, you similarly get a choice to move them to the
bottom.  But I don't see any way to move them from left to top (or bottom)
or from top (or bottom) to left (or right) -- other than going into the
project file and doing it.  Am I missing something here?

This is a bit of a pain since whenever I create a new project I have to go
edit the project file to get the tabs in position I want them.  An easy
fix, I'm sure.

Also, how about adding some features to the Preferences dialogs where you
can set properties like this for the Tool Box?  There really should be a
separate "Tool Box" section in Preferences (like there is for the Editor
and the Debugger) where the user can set his own default Tool Box
properties.

Thanks.

Also, as I mentioned in the recent C ide thread, I've been using Visual
Studio a lot lately (C and C#).  While in some ways a bit more
sophisticated than Wing, I find Wing's UI quite superior and much easier
and more sensible to use.  If at some point you guys could extend Wing to
support the whole .NET thing, that would be great.  Maybe for Version 3? I
might even be willing to pay more for that.  :-)

Gary H. Merrill, Principal Scientist
Analysis Applications, Research, and Technologies
GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development
Research Triangle Park, NC
919.483.8456