[wingide-users] Re: What are people using for C

Russell Warren rwarren at picarro.com
Mon Nov 20 09:10:48 MST 2006

Thanks for the feedback, all... lots of good suggestions to check out.

Regarding some comments on C being dead and only C++ being used, this just isn't true and is said from a restricted point of view.  The programming world is certainly not exclusively for desktop-computer-like applications (although this is obviously the biggest market)!  Some embedded processors don't have compilers readily available that can understand C++.  Lots do, but not all.

The project that is sparking this request is an embedded one, and the available IDE doesn't have many of the features I've become spoiled by in my cozy coding-for-the-pc world.  I'm simply looking for something that will help me digest existing code without making me feel like I'm back in the 80s, leaping from file to file doing searches to find where things are defined.  I'll still have to revert to the provided IDE for things like uploading the image and doing in-circuit debugging, but would rather do the actual coding in a friendlier environment.

It's kind of a moot point, since any C++ environment must, by definition, still understand good ol' K&R or ansi C.  I just couldn't resist commenting on statements like C being thoroughly outdated...  C++ is still an extension to C the last time I checked.

Thanks again for the excellent suggestions.  I'll refrain from non-Wing mails on this list from now on...
Russ