[wingide-users] Newbie question: installing under cygwin

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Mar 31 09:58:57 EST 2006

vicente sosa wrote:
> In the documentation I've only seen mentioned cygwin a couple of times, and
> only in relation with the debugger. Can the IDE run under cygwin? Can it
> coexist with a normal windows installation? Anything specific to do, or it's
> just a matter of pointing to cygwin python when installing the IDE?

Wing's cygwin support allows the debugger to debug programs running in
cygwin's python through the remote debugging interface.  It is done
through remote debugging because cygwin's python has a different view of
the file system than non-cygwin applications.  There's a bug in 2.1 beta
1's support for cygwin, so you'll need to use 2.0.4 or wait for 2.1 beta 2.

The IDE itself is a self-contained windows application, so the IDE will
have the non-cygwin view of the file system.

Cheers.