[wingide-users] Using Python 2.4.1 on Mac OSX

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Wed Mar 29 08:18:51 EST 2006

On 28/03/06 Geoff Canyon said:

> Way back when I tried installing Boa Constructor on OS X 10.4. I ran
> into the same issue of Python versions.

Python moves too bloody fast, IMHO. I have several versions installed at any
given time, and I'm honestly sick of it.

> I tried several things to get Boa Constructor up with the appropriate
> version. Being in an ornery mood at the time, I finally resolved the
> issue by completely removing Python and installing 2.4. To do this, I
> had to enable the root account.

Or use sudo.

> When I mentioned this on a different mailing list, several people
> chastised me, both for removing the earlier version of Python, and
> for enabling the root account.
>
> I explained that I disabled the root account as soon as I was
> finished. I also pointed out that I had a valid install DVD, and
> wasn't troubled at the thought of having to use it to restore the OS
> if necessary. Finally, I made it clear that I was more interested in
> an answer to the question I had asked at the time (don't remember
> what it was) than in being chastised.
>
> I got more chastisement :-)

What distro? What community was this? Ubuntu?

> And dire predictions about what would happen to my computer due to
> the missing 2.3 version.
>
> I never got an answer to my questions, and subsequently gave up on
> Boa Constructor.
>
> It's been months, and I still haven't reinstalled Python 2.3. As far
> as I can see, my computer is still working.
>
> Please don't chastise me ;-)

If python would maintain backwards compatibility longer, then maybe distro
maintainers would upgrade sooner. I don't think Guido understands this, but
it's difficult to be sure.

Mike

direction." --Albert Einstein