[wingide-users] tab bar

Peter Wang pwang at enthought.com
Tue Mar 21 18:08:07 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there was some way to get a second row of editor
notebook tabs?  I use vertically split panes, and I usually have lots of files
open.  Some of my filenames are pretty long, so I end up with a max of 8-9
tabs visible.  The tabs become extremely hard to use after the tab bar fills
up, for a couple of reasons:

1. The left and right arrows on the tab bar cycle through the tabs but don't
scroll the tab bar itself until it hits the last or first visible tab.  This
is not so useful, because if I wanted to switch to a visible tab, I'd just
click it.  If I'm clicking on the tab bar arrow, presumably I'm looking for a
tab that is not displayed.

2. The tab bar fills up in alphabetical order, and not in file opened order.
Perhaps there could be an option to switch between these orderings?  I tend to
mentally sort which files I was heavily editing and what files I opened just
to "check on something real quick", and it really throws me for a loop when
the tabs at the top don't correspond to this order.  If new tabs always got
appended to the right, it seems that it would naturally cause the tabs to be
sorted so that the more frequently used tabs are grouped together on the left,
and transient ones are on the right.  Maybe it's just me, but I got very used
to how WndTabs in Visual Studio handled sorting/new tab creation, and that
behavior feels more natural than the alphabetical sorting.

Alternatively, is there any way to change the left and right split panes so
that they don't share tabs, but rather rather separate editors, each with
their own tabs?  This would at least allow me to effectively double the number
of tabs I have open...

Thanks,
Peter