[wingide-users] [OT] line termination, was: Wing 2.1.0-b1 creates files withoutfinal newline on Windows

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Sun Mar 19 12:05:31 EST 2006

Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> So in this case, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that "CR/LF"
> ("\r\n") is the "standard", and "\r" (in the Mac) and "\n" in *nix are two
> abbreviations for the standard.

Indeed. In fact, Internet protocols still require line terminations to
be \r\n. On Unix the compiler simply translates \n such that the
terminal does \r\n.

I am loathe to defend Microsloth, but they're quite correct here. As
usual, Apple did something different just to be different, and added no
value whatsoever.

I'd be happy if the world simply standardized on \r\n.

Mike
direction." --Albert Einstein