[wingide-users] Wing 2.1.0-b1 creates files withoutfinal newline on Windows

Tom Stambaugh tms at stambaugh-inc.com
Sun Mar 19 11:47:53 EST 2006

I'm all for cynicism, especially as applied to Microsoft, but in this case
it's actually misplace.

The Windows/DOS usage is, in fact, a completely defensible solution and was
used long before MS adopted it -- I could be wrong, but I think this was the
standard for all the Digital OS's of the 70's and 80's (RT-11, RSX-11,
RSTS-11, VAX, etc).

Here's the rationale:

CR is "return" -- on a teletype (yes, that's where it came from), this moves
the carriage to the beginning of the SAME line.
LF is "linefeed" -- on a teletype, moves the carriage down one line (at the
same character position).

So "CR/LF" means "return to the leftmost position, then move down a line" --
precisely what you want to do. There was, as I recall, passionate debate
about whether the "proper" sequence was "CR/LF" or "LF/CR", with the former
winning out.

If you want to do ascii art, which was the only graphic option possible in
that era, then it was absolutely vital to have the two separate operations.

Hence, when UNIX (I think this is where it began) began abbreviating "\n" to
mean "CR/LF", a large segment of the community objected, with some
substance, that this made life MUCH harder and was simply wrong. Microsoft,
and DOS, came down on the "conservative" side of the fence. By the way, just
to make life complicated, Apple completed the fiasco by standardizing on CR
as its standard line terminator.

So in this case, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that "CR/LF"
("\r\n") is the "standard", and "\r" (in the Mac) and "\n" in *nix are two
abbreviations for the standard.

Thanks,
Tom