[wingide-users] Search buttons

avnerben@012.net.il avnerben at 012.net.il
Fri Mar 3 11:48:12 EST 2006

Hi,

I am enjoying the new version, especially the ability to bind the keys
to MS apps. Less technicalities to remember, good for productivity.

Here are two minor problems:

In 2.1, the small buttons in the search and search in files do not work
(for me at least - I am working under Win XP Tablet). Precisely: the
history, "look in" and "filter" down arrows.

The behavior upon hitting new line in the middle of the line is now even
less reasonable than it used to be. For example, given
                aList = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
and pressing enter at the "5", gives
                aList = [1, 2, 3, 4,
5, 6]
which is useless. In the real world, it should give:
                aList = [1, 2, 3, 4,
                5, 6]
which is good for a start. I may wish to push it further, but then this
is my business.

I never agreed with the designer's decision to place the separated text
at position zero of the newly opened line. All other editors I know
(e.g. Text Pad, visual Studio) put it where it should be - bellow the
previous line. The logic seems obvious: after all, we are inside a
block, aren't we? I tried to communicate in the past, but got an answer
I could not understand. So I gave up nagging, knowing that the next tab
pressed would get the line where it should be. But now, the next tab
simply pushes the line one tab forwards, infinitely, oblivious to the
rest of the block! Now, this is counterproductive. I could use Notepad,
if I needed this kind of behavior!

I recommend that you make the alignment of separated lines configurable,
so the user may select between (1) disregard current block (the present
policy) and (2) continue current block. In option 2, the cursor is to be
placed exactly as in hitting new line at the end of the line, with the
separated text following. To make sure that the cursor is in a
syntactically valid place, the rest of the line must be ignored. Suppose...
        def f(self):
           return self.foo(self.bar)
is edited into...
        def f(self):
           return self.foo(self.bar, \)
(with the intention to add more arguments below, and new line is hit
after the backslash.  Applying present Wing behavior, the result should be
        def f(self):
           return self.foo(self.bar, \
                                 )
...with the cursor before the right brace.

    Avner.