[wingide-users] Yes Another thing related to tabs

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Jun 26 10:39:39 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> When working, files get opened, and sooner or later I have so many
> files they don't all fit in the tab space. Usually, I then want to
> close the files which I no longer want open. Invariably, the current
> file I work on is one I *do* want open.

I think you might want to use the Close Others item on the File menu.
The current behavior of returning to the last file is designed for the
use case of opening a file to look at it and then closing it again to
return to the original file.  This is a case where sometimes you want to
do different things so there is no one obviously correct thing to do here.

> Hmmm. The file-list toolbox popped up there again. :-) I think I'd
> like one, and then I'd probably like to get rid of the tabs
> altogether...

Yes a file tool is probably a better solution here.  Note that you do
have the option of hiding tabs currently.

> When writing extentions to WingIDE is is possible to create new
> toolboxes? :-)

Yes, by going beyond the formal api.  The formal api is just a very
high-level subset of functionality that we've committed to maintaining
backward compatibility.  If you want to create new tools for the
toolboxes, I suggest you download the full source and start asking us
questions.

Cheers,