[wingide-users] Tiny feature request

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 16:10:15 EDT 2006

On 6/24/06, Martin Frankel <martin_d_frankel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You're claiming that there are Python programmers who *inescapably*
> spend the *majority* of their time editing multiple __init__.py's and
> other files with matching names?

Yes.

> For what it's worth, I've always thought it was sloppy coding style to
> put a lot of code in an __init__.py.

Who are talking about lots of code? If there was lots of code in the
files, there wouldn't be lots of files. :-)

In big frameworks you have loads of modules, and these modules tend to
have the same structure, and a set of files all called the same
things. When you are woriking with the integration between several of
these modules, you are gonna have a lot of files with the same name
open at one time.

> Even if you don't care what the number is, those three characters
> (space, hash, number) are not only useful but absolutely essential.
> Without them, there would be no cue that you have more than one file
> with the same name open.

Well, since the files are sorted per name, it's actually pretty damn
obvious, most of the time. ;-)

> Then people really would be routinely editing the wrong file.

I don't think that happens much. It's more a case of you having to
click through four open files with the same name to see which one it's
you have to edit.

> Can you think of another way to communicate the the fact that you have
> more than one buffer with the same name, quickly and clearly, to any
> casual user, in three characters or less?

Yes, I can do it in no characters, since the tabs will be named
"foo.py", "foo.py" and "foo.py". :-)

Btw, the idea of a file list box is not bad, my laptop is widescreen,
and I definitely have too much space sideways and not enough top and
bottom, so that might work for me too. I wish for one in 2.2. :-)