[wingide-users] Tiny feature request

Martin Frankel martin_d_frankel at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 15:50:01 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> It's hardly something you can "do something about".

You're claiming that there are Python programmers who *inescapably*
spend the *majority* of their time editing multiple __init__.py's and
other files with matching names?

For what it's worth, I've always thought it was sloppy coding style to
put a lot of code in an __init__.py. That's what import is for. I'm not
a Zope programmer though, I don't know what suffering that might cause
me. :)

> I must agree that I find the numbers useless. ;)

Even if you don't care what the number is, those three characters
(space, hash, number) are not only useful but absolutely essential.
Without them, there would be no cue that you have more than one file
with the same name open. Then people really would be routinely editing
the wrong file.

Can you think of another way to communicate the the fact that you have
more than one buffer with the same name, quickly and clearly, to any
casual user, in three characters or less?

Even if that fact was the only information content, even if the number
was chosen at random, I'd still feel it is the best tradeoff between
compactness and information in an editor tab - at least compared with
any idea I've heard thus far.

Martin