[wingide-users] Tiny feature request

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 06:39:44 EDT 2006

On 6/24/06, Martin Frankel <martin_d_frankel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1) Common case. It's safe to say that Python programmers more commonly
> switch between files with different names than between files with the
> same name. If that's not true for your work, that's unfortunate in all
> kinds of ways. There's got to be something you can do about it.

I must disagree here. It's hardly something you can "do something
about". __init__.py has to be called __init__.py, just as a very clear
example. By convention, you put your interface definition in
interfaces.py. You can put then in an interfaces directory, but they
you usually have the same name on the file as the class name, so you
get naming conficts that way.

> 2) Compactness. Compactness is certainly valuble in UI design.

I totally agree. I have similar filenames open when I have MANY files
open. Making the tabs take more space is not going to make that
better.

> already referred to the tradeoff between space and information, for
> example in your suggestion for ellipses. Compactness only harms
> usability if such a tradeoff is taken too far. You may feel that numbers
> in tabs go too far, which is understandable. But numbers do convey
> information, and they are very compact, and compactness is good, so it's
> not like there's an overriding design principle being violated.

I must agree that I find the numbers useless. ;) But they don't take
much space, so...
All in all, it's fine like it is now. Options on what to show is
welcome, of course, but numbers or just the filename is what makes
most sense as a default.