[wingide-users] Tiny feature request

Peter Butler peter.butler at 141.com
Thu Jun 22 17:07:35 EDT 2006

> It could also help solve a basically insoluble problem: if tabs are
> small enough to be convenient they're too small to hold fully
> distinctive names.

Eclipse does something for Java that I think is useful.  There is an
option "Compress all package name segments, except the final segment" in
the appearance options that allows you to use a string to determine how
much of each path segment should be shown.  I think the same could be
applied to Python.  For example, the path:

/long/package/name/with/module.py

And the compression string (set in the options):

2/

Would produce:

/lo/pa/na/wi/module.py

Enough to identify what you're working on, but small(ish) enough to fit
on a tab.

Cheers

Peter