[wingide-users] Tiny feature request

Martin Frankel martin_d_frankel at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 13:08:34 EDT 2006

 > And like I said earlier: almost anything is better than it is now.

I respectfully disagree. I like the tabs precisely the way they are. I
certainly would not like anything that makes them take up more real
estate. Numbers are great because they are maximally compact. Larger
tabs are a big lose. An adaptive algorithm that makes them take up more
space when the space is available is OK, I guess, but who cares about
seeing a lot of info when you have only one or two files open? The time
you really need that information is when the bar is already full. Also
the non-adaptive tabs act as a sort of instant visual bar graph of how
many files you have open. If they were adaptive they would lose that
cue. I know it sounds silly but this type of cue is what good user
interface is made of.

If you want to know exactly what you're editing, there is the tool tip
John mentioned, but there is also the window title which constantly
displays the full path of the file you are typing into.

I think this is a tempest in a teacup.

> By having the tabs on each split makes it very hard to work on
> several files side-by-side.

I use "Separate tool box windows" layout mode, and I open another editor
window rather than opening a split. This follows the behavior you are
requesting, with different tabs in each window. It's perhaps not quite
as convenient as splits, but it's not bad. The only extra real estate
you give up is a few pixels of window manager decoration.

Martin