[wingide-users] feature request : jump to source when double-clicking on Traceback in debug-I/O window

GD Alcos guy.dalberto at alcos.fr
Tue Jun 20 09:06:40 EDT 2006

Hello

I was somewhat disapointed that WingIDE 2.1.0 did not containt the
following feature I requested on may 4th 2006.

I am sending it to the users's group as I hope that if some other
people are interested and write about it to the Wing developers, it
will be implemented before WingIde3.0.

====== Feature
+ when an exception traceback is displayed in *Debug/IO*
Tool,   double-clicking on line displaying FileName and number,
   should go to the source in an editor window   (as PythonWin,
PyDev, Visual Studio, wScite)  or *WingIDE in the Exceptions Tool Window*

======

I would think it's very useful to all developers that run UnitTests
from the WingIDE.

The corollary is that since it's not in Wing 2.1, either Wing
developers don't UnitTest their product, or they don't use Wing to
develop their code.

I am quite agressive, but I am talking about developers that are
*Test Infected* and write the UnitTests before the code,
as described by  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CodeUnitTestFirst

When we run those tests in a UnitTest framework, the asserts that
fail are caught by the framework.
The tracebacks are printed in the *Debug I/O* window, but if we use
Wing, we cannot jump to the failed code by double-clicking on the
traceback line.

As it happens about once every five minutes when writing the code, it
becomes fairly annoying very fast.

And when we run one thousand tests and 10 of them fail, WingSupport
proposition to stop at first Exception is quite ridiculous,
especially if you use the  standard library
*unittest.TestCase.failUnlessRaises*  a lot, see
http://docs.python.org/lib/testcase-objects.html ,
and it would stop 20 times before having the first Exception that is
a failure and not a feature.
It's much more pleasant to have a chat at the coffee machine while
everything runs.

In about two monthes I am going to do a training session for 5
developers of a big company.
One of the main points of the course is : <<Unit Tests>>
I was planning to use Wing Trial edition, as the debugger is quite
useful for stepping through the code.

But if Wing developers do not find the time to implement such a
simple feature (WingIDE has it in the Exception window),
I will be obliged to use Wing only part of the course.., after all I
can use PythonWin, PyDev, or even wScite

Regards, Guy