[wingide-users] Javascript functions...

Hugh Gibson hgibson at cix.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 01:55:00 EDT 2006

> Unfortunately not without writing a static analysis engine for
> Javascript.  Which is probably (?) easier than writing one for
> Python, but not something we've done yet.

It seemed to be potentially a straightforward thing to do just to pick out the functions.

> In the unlikely event you have too much time on your hands and
> want to try it, we'ld certainly help you with the sources! ;-)

Well, it may save time in development so I was certainly interested.

> More seriously, we do want to make the analysis subsystem more
> modular so it's easier to add other languages in the future;

That's what I was looking for. Maybe you could look for a script called "xxx.analyze.py" for a file of extension "xxx", with a return value from a function analyze(sText) being a defined structure (e.g. list of dicts with line number, name, param list, sub-functions etc). Then people could easily insert their own parsers.

Then also a "hint" might help (lines that were changed) and also an opaque data object for each file which the analyzer created and Wing just caches and passes through to the script again.

Hugh