[wingide-users] Vim mode inconsistencies

sdeibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Mon Jun 5 12:00:45 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Brian Brown wrote:
> FYI, adding Vim mode to the system will actually get me to use an IDE
> with python :)

Great!  We firmly believe "good editor" should not be mutually
exclusive with "IDE", so this is nice to hear.

>    - When using shift-D (delete to end of line) followed by: p
> (paste), Wing pastes the data after the end of line, so it shows up
> on the next line; it should paste it before the end of line.

I'll try to fix this before 2.1 final.  Yours isn't the first
report of this.

>    - When using * (search for token under cursor), Vim highlights all
> occurrences of the word instead of just the next one.

This is harder to fix so it won't be in 2.1.  In general, we want
to add this sort of look-ahead match highlighting for all our
search interfaces, and vi search will get it at the same time.

> Overall it is VERY good (IMO), and having the macro recording
> implemented was simply brilliant - if I was building a Vim emulation
> mode, that may not have made the list :)

Please let me know if/when you run into problems w/ macros.  We
tried to get everything as close to Vim as possible but I'm sure
there are still inconsistencies in how we define the boundaries
of actions for '.' repeat and some actions may not work correctly
in macros in general.  Needless to say, this has been quite a bit
of work to get right (or almost right ;-).

Thanks for the feedback,

- Stephan