Why do Subversion Thrigh Wing? RE: [wingide-users] Subversion again

Vania Smrkovski vania at pandorasdream.com
Mon Jul 31 10:30:28 MDT 2006

Thanks, Walker.  I am always interested in learning how tools are used by
developers in general, so I hope your email does generate some of those
other strong opinions :-).

Myself, I prefer having strong integration, when a certain level of that
integration has been met.  That is to say, Micro$oft has done a good job of
integrating Visual Studio with Visual Source Safe by forcing the IDE to take
over responsibility for the notion of a "project", which doesn't exist in
VSS on its own.  When I create a solution in VS, I can add it to VSS and
know that another user can check out the solution by finding just the
solution file, and all related projects and folders are obtained.  Using VSS
as a parallel application makes this much too clumsy a process.

While I understand that working in multiple IDEs and languages can make for
IDE integration difficulties, I find the management of a projects full of
directories and files to be much worse.

I'd like to see WingIDE go in this direction, too.  The very existance of a
project file tightly couples it to the state of the individual files in that
project, and not integrating it to the source control makes for some risks
when new brances of code are added or deleted.

Thoughts anyone?

Vania