[wingide-users] mysterious crash in debug mode when importing sqlobject

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Jan 18 12:14:24 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Gigi wrote:
> Wing  doesn't crash it just reports the traceback. I changed the debugger
> settings to report exceptions only when the process terminates and
> everything works for me now. I wonder why the default seting is to report
> immediately. If the exception is handled (even if it appears to Wing it
> doesn't) then it shouldn't be reported and if it is really unhandled then
> the process will terminate anyway and Wing can report it then. Can you
> explain when it is useful to report an exception immediately?

The best solution for you is probably to go back to the default
exception handling mode and check the "Ignore this exception
location" checkbox in the Exceptions tool when you run into that
exception the next time.

To understand your options for exception handling, take a look at
http://wingware.com/doc/debug/managing-exceptions

We chose the default of reporting immediately because in most GUI
apps and quite a few others unhandled exceptions don't actually
lead the program to terminate but of course the developer wants
to know about them.

BTW, the exception you ran into should not have been reported in
the first place -- we have code to handle that (common) case but
there was a bug w/ it which I've fixed in our sources.

Sorry about the confusion!

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python