[wingide-users] mysterious crash in debug mode when importing sqlobject

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Wed Jan 18 11:48:12 EST 2006

Gigi wrote:
> Wing  doesn't crash it just reports the traceback. I changed the
> debugger settings to report exceptions only when the process terminates
> and everything works for me now. I wonder why the default seting is to
> report immediately. If the exception is handled (even if it appears to
> Wing it doesn't) then it shouldn't be reported and if it is really
> unhandled then the process will terminate anyway and Wing can report it
> then. Can you explain when it is useful to report an exception immediately?

When developing a program I'd like to know as soon as possible when my
code triggers an apparently unhandled exception. Because Wing reports it
immediately, I can inspect the local situation and adjust my code. Also,
in some situations code using a blanked except clause, may mask actual
bugs in the code; I'd like to know about those too.

Did you see you can tell Wing to ignore the specific exception whatever
the setting of when an exception is to be reported? The option is
offered at the time the exception is reported.

Martijn Pieters