[wingide-users] Plone unit tests in WinG

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Thu Feb 16 16:35:51 EST 2006

Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
> Can somebody please tell me how I can run and debug plone/zope unit
> tests in Wing?
> I have made a plone product and put that in my products folder with a
> tests subfolder in there. The tests run from the command line but for
> some reason I can't get it to work in Wing.

I generally try and avoid the 'unit tests' framework of Plone (they are
integration tests, mostly). For actual unit tests that require Products
imports to work (most Zope Product tests) I use the following code at
the top of such test module:

   import unittest
   import Testing
   import Zope2
   Zope2.startup()

Together with the usual unittest.main call this will ensure that the
tests can be run from the command-line if PYTHONPATH and INSTANCE_HOME
are defined. So all that remains to run such tests in Wing is ensuring
that you define these environment variables in your project or on the
environment tab of the debug dialog.

For my current project for example my environment variables are defined
as follows:

   PYTHONPATH=/home/mj/lib/Zope/2.8.5/lib/python
   INSTANCE_HOME=/home/mj/projects/NEa

The first points to a Zope software home, the second to the zope instance.

Perhaps this setup will also work for Plone testcases.

Martijn Pieters