[wingide-users] Using subprocess in scripts

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Dec 30 17:41:17 MST 2006

Michael Foord wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm experimenting with writing scripts.
>
> The problem with using 'os.system' to launch scripts is that it is
> synchronous - WingIDE is blocked until the script returns.
>
> I would like to use 'subprocess' to launch commands. The 'subprocess'
> module isn't included in the Wing 'Python24.zip', so I can't use it. Any
> reason why it isn't available ?

FWIW this is my solution :

import wingapi
import os
from threading import Thread

def custom_execute(app=wingapi.kArgApplication):
   editor = app.GetActiveEditor()
   filename = editor.GetDocument().GetFilename()
   directory, theFile  = os.path.split(filename)
   if os.path.split(directory)[1] == 'UnitTests':
     directory = os.path.split(directory)[0]
   os.chdir(directory)

   thread = Thread(target=lambda: os.system('run_python "%s"' % filename))
   thread.start()