[wingide-users] Custom Executable and Python Shell

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Dec 27 21:12:07 MST 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Michael Foord wrote:
> One of the beauties of IronPython is that embedding the engine into custom
> executables is trivially easy.

Ah, now it is a bit clearer what you're doing.

Maybe the "Python Executable" terminology in the GUI is
confusion.

When you embed Python (whether it's IronPython or CPython or
whatever implementation), Wing doesn't want you to set the Python
Executable to the executable that embeds Python.  You should
always set this to a real interpreter (currently only a CPython
interpreter will work).  We launch it with Python specific
command line args in various ways internally to inspect the
environment and so it cannot be anything but Python. This is used
for more than just debugging and the shells, but also for source
code analysis.

Your best bet for now is to set it to a CPython that corresponds
as closely as possible to the IronPython that you're using.

To get the launching behavior you're trying to achieve, use a
script rather than Wing's Execute function, which you've now
convinced me is even more broken than I imagined.

> Sorry to harp on about it.

No problem.  Your feedback is useful in making a reasonable
Execute function and related changes.

- Stephan