[wingide-users] Custom Executable and Python Shell

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Dec 27 14:18:36 MST 2006

Wingware Support wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Michael Foord wrote:
>>> Since you are just trying to get files to execute with IronPython, perhaps
>>> the thing to do is to write a script that executes the current file with
>>> IronPython and abandon trying to use Wing's "Execute" functionality.
>> Ok, that sounds like it should work fairly well.
>>
>> I assume I can set keyboard shortcuts to menu options added by a script ?
>
> Yes, in preferences.
>
>> 2) The Python shell is broken if you are using a custom executable which isn't
>> a Python interpreter. An implementation detail of your debugger it seems. ;-)
>
> The shell isn't a generic wrapper for any executable, it's
> specific to running Python and depends on the debugger which
> currently only works with CPython.
>
> I'll take this as a request for a generic wrapper, which I agree
> is something that would be generally useful.

Sort of. Except our executable *isn't* an interpreter. It's a custom
executable.

One of the beauties of IronPython is that embedding the engine into
custom executables is trivially easy.

 From our point of view, having a Python shell integrated in the IDE
(even a Cpython one) is a great feature. The debugger is much less
important.

A generic wrapper would be nice, but having the shell default to an
ordinary Python interpreter when the current executable fails would be
even better. :-)

Sorry to harp on about it.

>> It would be nice to see both fixed. I'd like to start hacking with scripting
>> anyway, we use a modified PyLint at work so hooking that in would be great.
>
> This may be of interest:
>
> http://wingware.com/pipermail/wingide-users/2006-October/003735.html

I noticed that. It will be a good starting point.

Michael Foord
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml