[wingide-users] Custom Executable and Python Shell

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Dec 27 12:58:01 MST 2006

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Michael Foord wrote:
> I've got Wing setup for developing with our work environment.
>
> We use a custom executable. To overcome the fact that when you have both these
> options set Wing doesn't pass the full path of the file being executed, I have
> created a script that finds the executable and finds the full path of the
> script being executed, sets the correct current directory and executes the
> script.
>
> By the way, this limitation makes it impossible to use a custom executable and
> set the initial directory.
>
> With a custom executable set, the Python shell built in to Wing doesn't work.
>
> Would it be (or is it) possible to use a custom executable and still have the
> default Python shell ?

I think the problem is that you're setting the executable to
IronPython and Wing's Python Shell, which internally depends on
our debugger implementation, will not work with IronPython.

Since you are just trying to get files to execute with
IronPython, perhaps the thing to do is to write a script that
executes the current file with IronPython and abandon trying to
use Wing's "Execute" functionality.

A script can add items to the editor and project context menu as
well as a new menu in the menu bar.  I can answer specific
questions but it's probably not hard to cobble up something based
on the cc_checkout() example in scripts/editor_extensions.py.  To
get more sophisticated process control, see the scripts/svn.py
script for its use of the AsyncExecuteCommandLine() call (in
__run_async_()).

Scripting is documented here:

http://wingware.com/doc/scripting

Hope that helps.  We'll try to make this easier without scripting
in the future.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python