[wingide-users] Breakpoint checklist

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Dec 15 08:51:20 MST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> Does anybody have a checklist of reasons why Wing might not stop at
> breakpoints when driven from a cgi script, along with possible
> workarounds/fixes?
>
> I'm using Wing IDE Professional, on WinXP pro, debugging Python invoked from
> a CGI script under Apache. Everything worked fine until a few days ago.
> Since then, Wing only sporadically stops at breakpoints. I can generally
> depend on it to stop at a breakpoint set in the CGI file itself, but it
> seems to ignore things set and cleared in the libraries that are
> subsequently imported and run.
>
> I've tried removing various pyc files, and I don't think it would take ANY
> breakpoints unless .wingdebugpw and windbstub.py were present in the
> relevant cgi-bin directory. The breakpoints *are* listed in the
> "Breakpoints" tab of the Wing Tool Box, and their "Enabled" checkbox is
> checked. For each, the "Ignores" and "Hits" columns contain "0", the
> "Temporary" checkbox is cleared, and the "Condition" field is empty. The
> filepaths for the listed files all look fine, and the referenced files are
> opened. I can see the python process start up (the "Stop" sign comes on, for
> example) and run -- it simply ignores the breakpoints, as if they weren't
> present.
>
> Any ideas?

First, as a sanity check, do Clear All Breakpoints and then set a
few again to see if that fixes it.

Then try to place a deliberate exception into the code at the
position where a malfunctioning breakpoint is located.  Like:

print 1 + 'x'

This should stop unless the exception is handled somewhere
and will get you the file name Wing thinks the file has.

There's a bit more info here:

http://wingware.com/doc/install/trouble-debug-nostop-breakpoints

To get debug logging out of the debug process side, and alter
kLogFile inside your copy of wingdbstub.py.  Sending this to us
along with the results of the above exception test would help in
diagnosing it.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python