[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Dec 11 09:31:34 MST 2006

Hi,

One thing to consider before setting up remote debugging is
whether there's a way to run Wing on the same machine as the
debug code.  It may be easier to do that than setting up remote
debugging.  Also, we strongly recommend _against_ debugging in
the context of a production/live server.

If you don't have a machine handy (real or virtual with something
like vmware) then you may be able to install Wing on the Linux
server and display remotely to your Windows machine.  You'll need
an X11 server for Windows, like:

http://www.microimages.com/mix/

or the more pricey:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/software/exceed/sshexceed.html

(which apparently also does ssh tunneling, for the X11
connection itself)

Sorry, I don't have detailed step by step instructions for either
of these... :-(

> I'm not interested in insults or accusations -- I stipulate ahead of time
> that YOU already know MORE about Linux, Python, and the world of computing
> than I and that you ARE already MUCH MORE COOL than me. I just want to make
> this work. I think Doug does too, and some of you seem to know how to do
> this.

Bah.  I've been using Linux for over 10 years and I still hate it
when it comes time to configure anything, especially a firewall.
My approach is to forget everything each time and rediscover what
I need to know using Google.  Remembering things like:

sudo ssh username at 14.6.4.5 -L 25:14.6.4.5:25

(which ssh tunnels tcp/ip port 25 (SMTP) to remote host 14.6.4.5
under username "username") is just _not_ "COOL", or even "cool". ;-)

Your overall point is well taken -- it would be nice for this to
be far simpler... ideally (1) run Wing, (2) drop some sort of
setup tool on the remote system, possibly by ftp-ing/xferring it
directly from Wing, (3) and start remote debugging.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python