[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sun Dec 10 20:18:55 MST 2006

Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> VShell Server is a Van Dyke product. Wingware support suggested I
> investigate it. It costs whatever it costs because that's how Van Dyke makes
> their money. The SSH tunnel needs to be originated at the Linux end, from
> the server. Nobody at WingWare was able to offer any more specific
> instructions on how to do it (on Linux) -- if you wanted to contribute same,
> I'm sure this community would appreciate it.

Just to clarify, Tom suggested investigating VShell.  It looks like it
would work, but I have not used it.  There are a number of other
packages to encrypt communications between computers that will work as
long as they have the ability to tunnel tcp/ip connections made on a
specific port from one computer to another.  openssh and PuTTY (& the
openssh server) are two such packages.

The tunnel needs to be set up to listen on the remote computer on the
"server port" defined in the debugging -> remote preferences.  The
tunnel is set up using the -R option when using ssh or by adding a
remote port to forward on the SSH tunnels section of the PuTTY
configuration.  It can be tricky to set up the location map when using
tunnels because the remote IP address used as a key in the map will
always be 127.0.0.1, which may or may not be a problem depending on how
your source tree is set up.

Cheers,