[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sun Dec 10 19:21:41 MST 2006

Doug Farrell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got WingIDE installed on my work desktop and am developing code
> there. However the ultimate destination for that code is a RedHat Linux
> server, so at some point I need to debug on the server. I've read some
> of the remote debugging stuff, and frankly I'm confused. Can anyone help
> me out, or point me to some information about how to set up remote
> debugging where WingIDE is on Windows and the executing Python program
> is on a Linux server?

The manual section at http://wingware.com/doc/debug/remote-debugging is
the place to start.  It does gloss over some of the network setup issues
that are often involved when the two machines are separated by one or
more firewalls and/or traffic goes over the open network.  In this case
we recommend the use of a secure tunneling mechanism, such as ssh.
Examples of programs that will do this include openssh and PuTTY.

Please let us know what's confusing in the manual.