[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Sun Dec 10 14:02:56 MST 2006

Some of us poor ignorant slobs who do NOT live, sleep, eat, and drink Linux
nevertheless develop web-based applications in Python on Windows XP desktops
that we must then deploy on Linux servers. WingIDE remains the best of the
python debuggers. It would be VERY helpful for we ignoramuses (have I
established that yet?) to have specific step-by-step instructions on how to:

1. Configure the Linux (server) side python.
2. Configure the Linux (server) side SSH/Tunneling (including ports that
must be opened, /etc/host modifications, changes to network interfaces,
changes to SELINUX settings, and all the other arcana that come along with a
Linux server)
3. Configure a local firewall/router (is opening a port enough? is it
necessary?)
4. Configure the local WinXP system to listen to the needed port(s)
5. Configure the local WingIDE to work with the remote server.

At the end of the process, I would like browser that invokes a python script
on my server at http://www.foobar.com/cgi-gin/somePython.cgi to cause my
local Wing to open and stop at a breakpoint set on my local system. I'm ok
with assuming that WingIDE is already running (locally). The local machine
does NOT have a domain name and does NOT have a fixed IP address, by the
way -- it's a vanilla-flavored broadband consumer subscriber account. You
may assume that the server already has openssh installed (that comes on most
Linux distributions already), and you may assume that the PC already has an
SSH client (I use SecureCRT) installed. My desire is for the remote
debugging experience to be, as much as possible, the same as the local
debugging experience with the SOLE difference that the code being debugged
is running on a remote (Linux) server.

I'm not interested in insults or accusations -- I stipulate ahead of time
that YOU already know MORE about Linux, Python, and the world of computing
than I and that you ARE already MUCH MORE COOL than me. I just want to make
this work. I think Doug does too, and some of you seem to know how to do
this.

Thanks,
Tom