[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Sat Dec 9 14:01:01 MST 2006

On Saturday 09 December 2006 14:40, Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> Before you go any further, you should know that you'll need a second TCP/IP
> connection between the server and your windows system, and the server needs
> to be able to connect through that port. When I last looked at this (last
> October), something analogous to a Van Dyke "VShell Server" needed to be
> running on the Linux end. The cost for VShell Server is $249. I suspect
> that if your server admin is giving you a hard time with x-windows access,
> you won't have much luck with this. My conclusion is that this capability
> is not ready for prime-time.

Umm, I have no idea what a VShell Server is or WhyTF it costs $249, but it
sounds like you just need an SSH tunnel, conveniently available for free
(speech & beer) from the fine folks at http://www.openssh.org/...  There's a
windows build, though IIRC PuttySSH can do tunnels too (dunno, I don't use
windows).

I've done remote debugging with Wing over SSH once or twice... worked fine.
Google for instructions on how to set up a tunnel.  It's not that hard, you
just need to get the command line options right.  And you can do X11 sessions
if the server's configured to allow it, though trying to do so over a WAN is
painfully slow.

If you're not already using SSH, you've got more serious problems...

--
Peter Fein                                                     pfein at pobox.com
773-575-0694                                      Jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com