[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Sat Dec 9 13:40:13 MST 2006

Before you go any further, you should know that you'll need a second TCP/IP
connection between the server and your windows system, and the server needs
to be able to connect through that port. When I last looked at this (last
October), something analogous to a Van Dyke "VShell Server" needed to be
running on the Linux end. The cost for VShell Server is $249. I suspect that
if your server admin is giving you a hard time with x-windows access, you
won't have much luck with this. My conclusion is that this capability is not
ready for prime-time.

What I do, instead, that seems to work just fine is:
a) Set up a webserver on your local WinXP machine. I use Apache
b) Configure your local webserver to run on some interesting port (I use
8000) so that it doesn't step on other local services.
c) Configure the local directory hierarchy under the Apache documentRoot to
be *exactly* the same as you have on the destination server
d) Make all your site references relative to documentRoot (for files) or
server root (for urls).
e) Get everything running locally
f) FTP everything up to the server.

The only things I generally need to change during deployment to the server
is the she-bang filepath for python and the python library paths. I usually
run "dos2unix" on everything, but I'm not sure it's needed.

Let us know if you get the remote debugging working.

Thanks
Tom