[wingide-users] Dealing with eggs

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Aug 23 18:24:59 MDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Matt Feifarek wrote:
> I've started to use egg libraries in my projects, and it seems that their
> namespace trickery foils Wing's code completion features.
>
> My guess is that it works (err, doesn't work) like this:
> - a module canonically named "foobar" stores itself in site-packages as "
> FooBar-0.9.1-py2.4.egg"
> - therefore, Wing can't find "foobar"
>
> I've not read all of the docs on how to use eggs and easy_setup, so perhaps
> it's an easy answer, but I'm a bit stumped.

Wing can't read anything inside an egg (or zip for that matter),
so it's just unable to find modules in there.  Right now, the
only solution is to keep things outside of eggs or zips until
distributed.

We hope to add egg and zip support as soon as possible as this
seems to be more and more common (but of course it's lower
priority than things for which there is no work-around).

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python