[wingide-users] Disable/Configure Anti-aliasing?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sun Aug 13 19:36:14 MDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Peter Fein wrote:
> Is there a way (hackish or otherwise) to configure or otherwise disable
> anti-aliasing under the System GTK?  Whatever Wing 2.1 has as the default
> looks terrible on my laptop's LCD, especially on bold fonts.

Try setting environment variable GDK_USE_XFT=0 before starting
Wing.

You can also create a ~/.fonts.conf file or edit the
system-provided one and add this:

<match target="font">
    <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
        <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
</match>

I've not tried the second one (found on Google) but the first
works for me (but only w/ system GTK, not private GTK).

> I've attached a snapshot.

Possibly not surprizingly the snapshot looks fine on my laptop --
I've seen this before that some LCDs just act differently.  You
might Google a bit on antialiasing, possibly to control
sub-pixel rasterization.  From http://www.xfree86.org/current/fonts2.html
I found:

"""Xft supports sub-pixel rasterisation on LCD displays. XFree86
should automatically enable this feature on laptops and when
using an LCD monitor connected with a DVI cable; you can check
whether this was done by typing

$ xdpyinfo -ext RENDER | grep sub-pixel

If this doesn't print anything, you will need to configure Render
for your particular LCD hardware manually; this is done with the
following syntax:

<match target="font">
    <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
        <const>rgb</const>
    </edit>
</match>

The string `rgb' within the `<const>'...`</const>' specifies the
order of pixel components on your display, and should be changed
to match your hardware; it can be one of `rgb (normal LCD
screen), `bgr' (backwards LCD screen), `vrgb' (LCD screen rotated
clockwise) or `vbgr' (LCD screen rotated counterclockwise)."""

Not sure that's relevant for your case but I messed around with
that at one point on an older laptop and it helped.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python