[wingide-users] Confused about indentation

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sat Aug 12 20:29:45 MDT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Tony Cappellini wrote:
> I'm going through hell trying to understand the tab/space conversion
> feature.
>
> With default tab size set to 4, does that insert 4 spaces when I have
> Default Indent Style = Spaces?
> When I press tab, are spaces actually inserted, or are tabs always inserted?

You want to set Indent Size to 4, not Tab Size.  Tab Size is the
size a \t character is rendered.

In general these settings are irrelevant if the file has contents
already.  Wing tries to match what it finds in the file.

If you haven't already, you may want to read:

http://wingware.com/doc/edit/indentation

(Reading this section w/in the IDE from the Help menu will give
you links to the relevant prefs)

> I'm having a problem trying to get the cursor to tab over 4 columns, when I
> have the cursor to the left of the def below.
> The only way I could get the cursor to tab over was to convert the whole
> file to use tabs, which I don't want.
> TABS ARE EVIL, but I can't get Wing to tab over to the correct column when I
> convert the file to use spaces.

If you can send me the file (to support at wingware.com) I can tell
you what's going on.  I'd like to see it also to try to avoid
this problem in the future.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python