[wingide-users] Text selection using cursor keys

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Fri Aug 11 05:02:49 MDT 2006

David Hughes wrote:
> In all the editors and word processors that I use, including Vim and the
> 'Normal' WingIde keyboard, I can press shift to anchor the start point
> at the cursor and use the right and/or down cursor keys to select  text.o

Hey, my Vim doesn't do that, at least not by default. I use 'V' or 'v'
to start highlighting text.

> My fingers are now hard wired to these combinations! But why is your Vi
> keyboard different? Shift/Down moves the cursor down about 30 lines and
> Shift/Right advances one word at a time. Neither selects text.

It certainly follows Vi conventions fairly well ('V' doesn't highlight
whole lines correctly right now but actions do appear to work on the
whole line anyway). Dunno where the shift conventions come from, Vi
doesn't do those either.

Martijn Pieters