[wingide-users] Debugging list comprehension

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Fri Aug 11 03:31:48 MDT 2006

Luc Bourhis wrote:
> I really like the syntax of list comprehension but Wing debugger does
> not step in the loop in them and therefore I have often to give up on
> them. Is this an inherent limitation of the Python debugging API? If it
> is not, I would really love Wing to offer that feature.

List *comprehensions* ("[i for i in range(10)]", square brackets) are
directly looped over by the debugger, at least in my 2.1.1 installation.

List *generators* ("(i for i in range(10))", round brackets) are also
looped over, but at the moment they are consumed (which may be at a
later point). You need to set a breakpoint at the point of consumption:

  ( ) gen = (i for i in range(10))
  (*) consumed = list(gen)

Where (*) denotes a breakpoint.

Martijn Pieters