[wingide-users] remote debugging path mapping problem

Bryan Stearns stearns at osafoundation.org
Wed Apr 12 18:00:13 EDT 2006

I mentioned this in my last message (about Wing vs exceptions thrown
from methods called from SWIG'd C code)... here are way too many details
:-) ...

I've got a remote debugging path-mapping problem: I'm getting errors
sometimes like:
*Failed to open document 'schema.py
(z:\main\chandler\z:\main\chandler\application)'
*
This happens when Wing thinks that an exception is unhandled because the
handler on the stack is in a library written in C.

I develop on three platforms simultaneously; my python sources are in a
tree shared from a Linux box with Samba and mounted remotely by Windows
and Mac boxes. Each development machine also has an unshared directory
that holds platform-specific binaries (including our private build of
python itself).

Normally, I only run Wing on the Windows box - most of the time I'm
debugging locally on that Windows box too, and that works great.
However, when I try to remote-debug my code running on Linux (which
imports wingdbstub.py for this), I get error message dialogs like the
above -- usually half a dozen of them at each exception or breakpoint I
hit.

The directory containing the python files on the Linux box,
/home/stearns/shared, is mounted remotely on the Windows box via Samba
as z:\.

The paths in the stacktrace (see the bottom of this message) are
interesting: the C-implemented methods have bad paths (eg
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/z:\main\chandler\application\schema.py").

My current mapping list in Wing on the Windows box looks like this:
/home/stearns/shared/main  -> z:/main
/home/stearns/unshared/main/chandler/release/lib/python2.4 ->
c:/cygwin/home/bryan/unshared/main/chandler/release/bin/Lib
/home/stearns/unshared/main -> c:/cygwin/home/bryan/unshared/main

I've tried using backslashes instead of forward slashes in the right
side of all these mappings; I get the same error message (with
backslashes in it, just as shown above).

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or a way to work around it? Do I need
to add some other mapping relating to the SWIG'd library?

Thanks,
...Bryan Stearns

AttributeError: osaf.framework.blocks.BranchSubtree.rootBlocks

Traceback (innermost last):

File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/Chandler.py", line 8, in ?
  """
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/Chandler.py", line 15, in main
  def main():
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/Chandler.py", line 60, in realMain
  app = wxApplication(redirect=redirect, useBestVisual=True)
File
"/home/stearns/unshared/main/chandler/release/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx/_core.py",
line 7736, in __init__
  self._BootstrapApp()
File
"/home/stearns/unshared/main/chandler/release/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx/_core.py",
line 7388, in _BootstrapApp
  return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/Application.py",
line 284, in OnInit
  Utility.initParcels(view, parcelPath)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/Utility.py", line
428, in initParcels
  Manager.get(view, path=path).loadParcels(namespaces)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/Parcel.py", line
199, in loadParcels
  self.__syncParcel(namespace)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/Parcel.py", line
158, in __syncParcel
  schema.synchronize(self.itsView, pkg)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1269, in synchronize
  parcel_for_module(moduleName,repoView)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1261, in parcel_for_module
  return itemFor(ModuleMaker(moduleName), view)   # slow path
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1334, in itemFor
  cb = obj._init_schema_item(item,view)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1236, in _init_schema_item
  module.installParcel(item, None)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/parcels/amazon/__init__.py",
line 20, in installParcel
  parentBlock = main.CollectionMenu)
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/z:\main\chandler\application\schema.py",
line 1078, in __getattr__
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/z:\main\chandler\application\schema.py",
line 1072, in __getattr__
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1261, in parcel_for_module
  return itemFor(ModuleMaker(moduleName), view)   # slow path
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1334, in itemFor
  cb = obj._init_schema_item(item,view)
File "/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/application/schema.py", line
1236, in _init_schema_item
  module.installParcel(item, None)
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/parcels/osaf/views/main/__init__.py",
line 14, in installParcel
  makeSummaryBlocks (parcel)
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/parcels/osaf/views/main/summaryblocks.py",
line 176, in makeSummaryBlocks
  detailBranchPointDelegate.getBranchForKeyItem(keyType.getKind(view))
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/parcels/osaf/framework/blocks/BranchPoint.py",
line 205, in getBranchForKeyItem
  branch = self._makeBranchForCacheKey(keyItem)
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/parcels/osaf/framework/blocks/detail/Detail.py",
line 320, in _makeBranchForCacheKey
  rootBlocks = getattr(subtreeAnnotation, 'rootBlocks', None)
File
"/home/stearns/shared/main/chandler/z:\main\chandler\application\schema.py",
line 688, in __get__