[wingide-users] More thoughts on toolbar hiding

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:17:37 EDT 2006

I'm in the camp, as I've said before, that would like to minimize the number
of pixels spent on toolbars/whatnot. I've been thinking of how this could
work, and I realized KDE does it surprisingly well. In KDE, you can have
panels hide unless you move your mouse to the sides (or corners) of the
screen. Panels also appear when you use hotkeys.

The one holdover from emacs that I think is missing in Wing is that with
Emacs, you can dedicate your entire screen to nothing but editing -- which
with the right learned keystrokes, is handy. I'm thinking you press F2 to
show your toolbar, use whatever you want, and press F2 again and the entire
bottom panel vanishes. Pure text all the way to the bottom of the screen.

This might be a lot to ask for, but dynamicly adjusting the font could be
nice. I normally don't want to strain my eyes, but if I'm looking at a huge
tab-delimited for or just scanning through a lot of code, jumping to a
smaller font is nice.