[wingide-users] matplotlib and wingide

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Apr 6 12:48:34 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, SoCool wrote:
> I have just downloade the trial version of wingide professional, and I am
> impressed.

> WingIde seem to be incompatible with matplotlib (
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/)

What you saw (details below) is fixable but you should also be
aware that matplotlib apparently also multithreads internally
which can cause problems w/ Wing's debugger because it can
currently only debug one thread at a time.

I actually don't know that much about matplotlib, so would be
interested in hearing if you do run into problems and might be
able to offer some suggestions with any other problems you run

> a very simple example code does not run:
> from pylab import *
> plot([1,2,3,4])
> show()
> return and error in tkinter.py, "AttributeError: __nonzero__"

You can select "Ignore this exception location" in the Exceptions
tool and continue debugging.  This choice is remembered in your
You can also change Wing to report exceptions only if they
actually lead to program termination with the Debugger /
Exceptions / Report Exceptions preference -- set it to At Process

There are details as to why Wing does this here:

In summary:  Deciding which exceptions to report to the
programmer is non-trivial and the default setting is selected to
work with the largest number of cases.
Hope that helps.
Stephan Deibel
Wing IDE for Python