[wingide-users] Feature requests

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Sep 27 21:41:24 EDT 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Simon Carter wrote:
> Hiya. Wing is a great product and, as far as I can tell, the best Python
> IDE out there. However, there are a couple of niggles which I feel
> irritatingly compelled to mention, in the hope that I'll be told they'll
> all be fixed in the next version. :-)
>
> -          Pylint/Pychecker integration. One of the great things about
> Pydev is it's ability to inform you of potential errors in your code as
> you're typing, a feature I miss in Wing. Indeed, if that degree of
> integration is too ambitious an addition, a simple tool for running a
> static analysis, which enables you to quickly jump to the error
> locations within Wing, would go a long way.

We do show error indicators in red under the code, but the test is for
syntactical correctness and not all the things Pychecker can find.
Adding more depth to this is something we plan in the future, but not
in the next release.

> -          Custom tool integration. Something that MSDev does very well
> is to allow simple command line scripts to be added to the toolbar, and
> run within the IDE. All output from the tool gets sent to an integrated
> output window. In addition, text formatted in a particular way (ie
> filename:line_number, message) can be clicked on, and takes you to the
> file/line in question. This allows users to create custom tool
> integrations, such as the pylint one mentioned above.

There is a scripting API:

http://wingware.com/doc/scripting/index

However, we do want to add a way to make it easier to do the simple
case of just executing a command line.

> -          Debugging multiple threads. Looking at the other mails here,
> I know I'm not the only one asking for this. :-)

Planned but I can't give any time frame (the usual answer, I'm
afraid).

> -          Automated code completion from extension modules (dlls, pyds,
> etc). Again, something I miss from PyDev is that all packages enable
> interface browsing and code completion, be they in Python or extension
> modules.

This is being worked on for the next release -- at least based on
actually loading the module and introspecting it (rather than
attempting static analysis of the C/C++ code for the extension
modules, which we might try later as a way to get more information
about expected parameters to calls).

Hope that's useful.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python