[wingide-users] Feature requests

Simon Carter scarter at lionhead.com
Tue Sep 27 09:13:52 EDT 2005

Hiya. Wing is a great product and, as far as I can tell, the best Python
IDE out there. However, there are a couple of niggles which I feel
irritatingly compelled to mention, in the hope that I'll be told they'll
all be fixed in the next version. :-)

-          Pylint/Pychecker integration. One of the great things about
Pydev is it's ability to inform you of potential errors in your code as
you're typing, a feature I miss in Wing. Indeed, if that degree of
integration is too ambitious an addition, a simple tool for running a
static analysis, which enables you to quickly jump to the error
locations within Wing, would go a long way.

-          Custom tool integration. Something that MSDev does very well
is to allow simple command line scripts to be added to the toolbar, and
run within the IDE. All output from the tool gets sent to an integrated
output window. In addition, text formatted in a particular way (ie
filename:line_number, message) can be clicked on, and takes you to the
file/line in question. This allows users to create custom tool
integrations, such as the pylint one mentioned above.

-          Debugging multiple threads. Looking at the other mails here,
I know I'm not the only one asking for this. :-)

-          Automated code completion from extension modules (dlls, pyds,
etc). Again, something I miss from PyDev is that all packages enable
interface browsing and code completion, be they in Python or extension
modules.

These are the major issues I have. Thanks for reading, and my apologies
if this has all been mentioned by others in the past!

Simon.