[wingide-users] source completion

Dave Aitel dave at immunitysec.com
Fri Sep 9 10:20:51 EDT 2005

Russell Warren wrote:

>Tangent question from a relative Python newbie not yet familiar with the zillion available Python libraries...
>
>Does Python not have a sizeof-like function to do what you are doing with that getsizefromtype routine?  It seems painful/strange that you must write that function.

Well, a Python object doesn't have a size, really. FC_LONG, etc are
C-style enumerations which relate to the program I'm writing, unmidl.py,
which is a GPLed tool to recover Microsoft midl IDL files from generated
exectables. It's available here:
http://www.immunitysec.com/resources-freesoftware.shtml along with a
bunch of other stuff written using WingIDE, including a x86
disassembler, assembler, C compiler, and MITM HTTPS web proxy used for
security analysis of web applications.

My company writes a LOT of Python code and we've standardized on
WingIDE. Which reminds me, I wish there was a way to say "All the spaces
here are 8 characters. I want them at 4." without converting to tabs
first. :> Also, the Argentinian on my team doesn't like to hit enter, so
a "please put a new line between all function definitions" wouldn't hurt.

-dave