[wingide-users] Debugging cgi script on local machine

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Oct 25 12:59:21 EDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Peter Mott wrote:
> Yes, that could very likely have been the base cause as I orignally had not
> problem debiugging CGI scripts (the script that did not debug most recently
> was responding to a 'multipart/form-data' form). I got the debugger working
> by hacking at the setup but I don't really have any idea why. In particular
> the Help is not entirely explicit on the relationship between the A)
> wingdbstub variables:
>
> kWingHostPort = 'localhost:50005'
> kAttachPort = '50015'
>
> and B) the set up one accesses through the Edit/Preferences menu in
> particular 'Server Port' and  'Common Attach Hosts'.

kWingHostPort tells the debugger which host+port the IDE is
listening on for connections (by default the debug process
connects back to the IDE, not the other way around).  This has to
match where you have the IDE running and on what port it's
configured to listen (50005 by default) with the Server Port
preference.

kAttachPort is the port on which the debug process starts
listening for a connection from the IDE if it fails to attach to
the IDE or the IDE drops the connection.  This is rarely used
but when used the host/port of the debug process can be added
to the Common Attach Hosts preference to make it quicker to
attach to it (using the Attach to Process item in Debug menu).

The two are completely independent except for the fact that the
debug process does not listen on kAttachPort unless it's not
connected to an IDE.

Hope that helps.  I'll try to clarify the documentation.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python