[wingide-users] Using Templates

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Oct 11 11:04:30 EDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Wolfram Kriesing wrote:
> I thought I was able to figure it out, but I found nothing on the web
> and the tutorial http://wingware.com/doc/edit/templating doesnt help
> much either.
> How do I use templates, give me an example template file please!
> The template-tool doesnt appear in my tools-menu, and also not in the
> insert-tool thingy.

It should be in the Tools menu and Insert Tool popup submenu.  This is
a feature of Wing IDE Pro only (not Personal) -- maybe that's the
problem?

> And once i have a template, does it appear in the auto-complete menu
> or is there a keyboard short cut to execute/paste it in? (or even
> both)

Once you add the Templates tool, you can right click on it to add a
template and assign a keybinding to it.  Also, you can assign a key
binding to the commands 'template' and 'template-file' which bring up
an entry area that lets you type the template name w/ autocompletion
(at the the bottom of editor window).  The former inserts into the
current file and the latter creates a new file containing a selected
template.  Args for the template are collected at the bottom in the
same way.

There are example templates that come w/ Wing under the System-wide
tab in the Templates tool and they are located in scripts/templates
inside your Wing installation.  When you add User-specific templates
from the Templates tool they end up in the directory templates within
your User Settings Directory (which varies location by OS; see
http://wingware.com/doc/install/user-settings-dir or the 5th item in
Wing's About box).

Hope that helps.  Sorry for the delay in responding -- your email feel
through the cracks temporarily.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python