[wingide-users] Unable to run wing under ubuntu 5.4

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sat May 28 18:09:47 EDT 2005

Jacob Lundqvist wrote:
> I have seen some posts on the list that some people manage to get wing
> running under Ubuntu. Unfortunately it doesnt work out for me.
> I selected Swedish as language on setup - perhaps this is language
> related, the locale error seems to indicate that at least.

I was able to reproduce this on ubuntu 5.04 by setting
   LANG=sv_SE.ISO8859-1
the error also occurs in a python2.4 interpreter when the following is
executed:
   import locale
   locale.getpreferredencoding()
It's possible that some of the system locale files are missing -- my
ubuntu install is an English language install so it's understandable
that it doesn't work, but I'd think that the above python snippet should
work on your Swedish language install.

In any case, a workaround is to set
   LANG=C
before running wing.  You may need to adjust the default text file
encoding in the preferences, however.

Thanks for the bug report,