[wingide-users] Bad interface feature

gary.h.merrill at gsk.com gary.h.merrill at gsk.com
Mon Mar 21 10:37:14 EST 2005

Here is one I strongly recommend changing.  I suspect it's just an
oversight that slipped by.

If you split an editor window, you get two sub-windows of the parent
window.  Each sub-window has its own top bar (don't know what better to
call it) which contains the forward and back arrows, dropdown menu for
classes, dropdown for splitting/merging, and an 'x' for closing the
window.

Alas, the 'x' does *not* mean "close this sub-widow".  It means "close the
parent window (and all sub-windows)".  This is quite counter-intuitive
(not to mention having an initially shocking result).

In general, as a principle of interface design, actions available on a
sub-window should pertain to that sub-window -- otherwise they should not
be there.  Note that the *other* actions (forward/back, actions from the
drop-downs) apply to the sub-window they appear in.  But if you hit the
'x' in any sub-window, the whole thing goes away.

Should be easy to change, I would expect.

Gary H. Merrill
Director and Principal Scientist, New Applications
Data Exploration Sciences
GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
(919) 483-8456