[wingide-users] 2.0.2 Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Tue Mar 15 11:13:25 EST 2005

dimitri pater wrote:
> I just installed 2.0.2 on Mandrake 10.1. After changing the theme into
> IceSomething (can't remember the exact name), I get the following
> output (console):
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Previous version worked fine, but I always used the standard GTK theme.
> (why did I change it anyway.. aaaarghhh....)

ThinIce? Do you use the Qt rendering engine for GTK perhaps? I have
found that when you use that engine some GTK apps (like Wing) can crash
even if you select a different theme only for that application (Select
'Use System GTK' and 'Use Selected Theme'). The following GTK engines
and themes would reproducably crash under 2.0.1 without patch #4:

Engine        Themes
-----------------------------------
crux-engine   Crux

smooth        Delightfully-Smooth
               G26
               Smooth-Funky-Monkey
               Smooth-Line
               Smooth-Okayish
               Smooth-Sea-Ice
               Smooth-Tangerine-Dream
               Smooth-Winter

hcengine      HighContrast
               HighContrastInverse

mist          Mist

pixmap        SphereCrystal

thinice       ThinIce

The following engines  and themes didn't crash:

Engine       Themes
-----------------------------------
bluecurve    BlueCurve

qtpixmap     Geramik
              ThinGeramik

industrial   Indubstrial
              Industrial

default      GTK Default
              LowContrast

metal        Metal

redmond95    Redmond95

xfce         Xfce
              Xfce-b5
              Xfce-basic
              Xfce-curve
              Xfce-kde2
              Xfce-kolors
              Xfce-light
              Xfce-redmondxp
              Xfce-saltlake
              Xfce-smooth
              Xfce-stellar
              Xfce-winter

The problems had dissapeared in 2.0.1 after the shell-patch (patch #4)
but have resurfaced with 2.0.2. For some reason I cannot reproduce any
of the crashes just now, but until earlier today I could get a crash by
just selecting 'CVS' -> 'Display Documentation'.

It seems to depend on what panels are visible; either that or I wasn't
paying attention when I reproduced th crash with 2.0.2-2 just after I'd
installed it (in which case 2.0.2-2 has fixed the problem again).

In my 2.0.1 test run case a particular project would trigger the crash.
You can try two things to fix your crash and switch back to whatever
theme you want to use:

   - Open a blank project by starting wing from the command line with
     "wing2.0 dummy"

   - Edit your preferences file (~/.wingide2/preferences) and remove or
     alter the 'gui.display-theme' line before starting Wing 2.0.

Martijn Pieters