[wingide-users] Wing IDE 2.0.2 Released

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Mon Mar 14 00:21:31 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Ken Kinder wrote:
> I don't know about everyone else, but I'm giddy at the thought of
> scripting WingIDE without having to download the source code and be
> confused by it. :) I noticed your dialog for revision control implies
> future support for other version control systems. (Subversion?) It would
> be nice if your scripting api documentation explained -- perhaps -- how
> one could go about in developing a plugin for another revision control
> system.

The CVS implementation is available in source code in the
installation in scripts/cvs.py -- the code is probably fairly
self-explanatory but we can answer questions if you try to base
another revision control integration on it.

I should note that the CVS integration is somewhat minimal in
that we plan to add more support for status/icons on the project
manager, and may write more of a general framework people can
plug command strings into rather than having to copy cvs.py and
muck around with the Python code.  This will be in flux for a
while but since it's already quite useful we decided to release
it as is.

A few notes that I think didn't make it into the scripting
documentation:

* It's helpful to add 'bin' inside your Wing installation to
  your Python Path in Project Properties while scripting so
  that auto-completion works on symbols imported from wingapi.py

* If you need to "reach through" the API into internals (as some
  of the example scripts do), copying in selected *.py files from
  Wing's sources and adding more directories to your Python Path
  may also be helpful.  For really advanced scripting, we still
  recommend using Wing to debug itself, but I've found this
  necessary only when debugging underlying code.

* The stuff about URLs in the Known Scripting Issues section
  can be ignored since right now the API just expects file
  names, not URLs.

> Also, I like your new auto-adding files to the project. Something that
> would be useful for me would also be pruning deleted files from the
> project AND adding new ones using some kind of regex. Some files, such
> as compiled templates, are never useful to add to the project, while
> others would be. ie; a rule that would say "Automatically add all files
> to the project matching these globs, and excepting these globs" would be
> ideal.

Yes, this is in the plan.  We may just make the directories
auto-updating based on disk contents and include/exclude globs.
Of course you could easily write a script to do this now! ;-)

- Stephan